Monday 10 June 2019

Eclipse Card

I made this card for two challenges: the Mod Squad challenge - Total Eclipse of the Card, and the Splitcoaststampers MISTI Monday June 2019 challenge - The Shape of Things. I am also entering it in the Splitcoaststampers July 2019 Christmas Card challenge - make a fun fold or shaped card.




As you have probably guessed from the titles of the challenges, I had to make a shaped card and use the Eclipse technique. Basically, the Eclipse technique means that after you have your background made, you cut out a portion, with a die or an electronic machine, and then you replace it after you have raised it up with foam tape or layers of cardstock.

First, I made the card base. I took a piece of white cardstock, folded it in half and used the scalloped oval die to cut it out. I made sure that the top of the die was above the fold, so that the cardstock was still connected at the top. 

Using the Carta Bella Lattice stencil and Gina K. Designs Cherry Red and Dusty Rose ink, I sponged the pattern onto another piece of white cardstock that I had cut out with the oval die. I cleaned the stencil and lined it back up to add some Gina K. Designs White Glitz Glitter Gel over the pattern. 

While that was drying, I stamped the sentiment, from Gina K. Designs Seasonal Sentiments Stamp set, with Memento Tuxedo Black ink, trimmed it down and sponged the edge with Cherry Red ink. Once the panel was dry, I cut out the Christmas sentiment, from the coordinating die set, from the middle of the panel. I also die cut 4 more from white cardstock and glued all the layers together. I used the Scor-Buddy Mini Mat when I was gluing, as I knew that it would just clean off the shiny surface on the back.

To assemble the card, I attached the front panel onto the card base with some Scor-Tape, glued the Christmas sentiment back in place, and popped up the Merry piece with some foam squares.

This was the first time I had tried the Eclipse technique, but it was fairly easy and I will use it again. I hope you will try it, too!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting card...reminded me of the three-D pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great eclipse design. I think you nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet Christmas card, I love the background. Great take on the challenge, thank you so much for participating this week at the Mod Squad Challenge
    Judy~ Mod Squad Challenge Designer
    {Judy's Happy Place} Stop by and see me!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate each one.