Friday 27 June 2014

Graduation card

This week I made a card for my nephew's High School Graduation.  There were three challenges that my card would work with:
Mod Squad Challenge Blog: Charmed, I'm Sure!!
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: I ought to use this more





The thing I ought to use more is different card layouts and shapes. I was inspired by the Congrats! Grad card in the latest issue of CardMaker magazine. I was giving a gift card to my nephew and this card is made to hold a gift card. I used blue and white for the school colours. 

I started with a white piece of Colorbok textured cardstock and made the cuts where indicated in the magazine.  I then used some blue American Crafts cardstock and embossed it with a Cuttlebug embossing folder from the Wedding Suite set. I cut it up and adhered it to the card. I used my Silhouette Cameo and cut out the 2014 and the grad hats. I inked up the 2014 with some VersaMark ink and used Clear Recollections Detail embossing powder to heat emboss the numbers. I wanted to give them a bit of shine which I think you can see in the first picture.

I used a sentiment from the Art Gone Wild Inspirations set and stamped it with Stampin' Up Brilliant Blue ink onto a piece of white cardstock.  These stamps have a border around them so I used Spectrum Noir marker TB5 to colour in the outside border. I think it matches the blue cardstock quite well.

I used my Cameo again with a white Sketch pen and drew Congratulations onto a blue piece of cardstock and mounted that onto a white piece. I tied a piece of gold cord around the white piece and tied another piece of cord onto it. For the charm challenge, I took two of the grad hats, inked the tassle with Tsukineko Brilliance Galaxy Gold and joined them together with the gold cord in between. I frayed the end so it looked like a tassle. I mounted that onto a blue piece and adhered it onto the left hand side of the inside of the card.

I used a 1 1/2 " circle punch from EB tools to cut out 2 blue circles. I scored them, folded them in half and glued one half onto the back of the middle section. I folded the other half onto the front of the card and glued just the top edge so that the gift card can go in the middle.



3 comments:

  1. Great card, I'm sure your nephew will love it! Thanks for joining us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How fun! Your nephew will love it indeed! Thanks so much for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat fancy fold card. Love the charm you added too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate each one.